Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Literacy, so hot right now

I am so busy at work these days that I am behind on all things pop culture.
Sadly, I am most behind on my reading since when I get home totally exhausted I find myself going toward the TV rather than the bookshelf.

I am going to make a serious effort for that to change in the coming weeks and here are three things that will help me...



Nobel prize winning author Ms. Toni Morrison has a new book out. It's called Home and I am picking it up today after work (right before hitting the Wednesday night wine flight at Swirl- it's a Rosè tasting!).
I L-O-V-E Toni Morrison so I am very much looking forward to reading this soon.

Here is a review from the NPR Books page to get you psyched up:
'Home': Toni Morrison's Taut, Triumphant New Novel




Another of my favorite authors, Gillian Flynn has a new book coming out in the beginning of June called Gone Girl. Gillian Flynn is the author of two other books both of which are wicked little stories that I love: Sharp Objects and Dark Places (which I read this morning is being made into a movie). These are not for the faint at heart- they are thrillers but not overly gory or gross- just the perfect amount of grotesque!

On NPR there is an exclusive "first read" excerpt that you can download and listen to or read. I have downloaded it to my i pod so I can listen while cleaning the house this weekend.

Check it out:
Exclusive First Read: 'Gone Girl' By Gillian Flynn

And last but not in the slightest bit least, my friend Ms. Elizabeth Myrddin is writing like the devil these days and I have so much to catch up on!
Here is her newest blog "Inky Heels" (loving that name!)- check it out!
http://inkyheels.wordpress.com

What have you been reading these days in print or electronically?

P.S. Hey locals, tomorrow begins the annual LPO New Orleans Symphony book fair! It is held at Delgado and is free on Friday and Saturday (to get in early Thursday it is a $10.00 donation) I am going to dig for literary treasures on Friday afternoon- bring a bag and head over!

 Book Fair Dates May 17-19, 2012    

Thursday and Friday, May 17 – 18, 9 AM – 8 PM
Saturday, May 19, 9 AM – 4 PM
($10.00 admission on Thursday only)
at Delgado Community College`s Student Life Center. (Entrance at Navarre Ave.)




1 comment:

  1. Hey thanks for the shout out :) and I hope you enjoy my novel! It was a fun project.

    I've noted Gone Girl, Dark Places, and Sharp Objects as books I need to read. I hope they have them for the Kindle!

    Literacy, so how right now - and always!

    ReplyDelete